Summer is a wonderful season for a lot of reasons. If you’re cutting calories, warm weather may bring you some relief; most of us experience less of a desire for heavy comfort food, and instead, opt for light, refreshing fare.
Thanks to our friends at The Ibiza Catering, a popular catering company in Ibiza, we’re excited to kick off our healthy summer recipe series with this delicious Fresh and Light Red Tartare of Tuna with chopped watercress, watermelon and beetroot on radicchio topped with lime fillets. It happens to be The Ibiza Catering’s signature dish, and they were kind enough to provide their exclusive recipe.
Our Healthy Tips
- For a light, protein-packed meal: Serve this dish alone or with whole grain bread/gluten-free bread.
- Modify the ingredients to meet your needs: In Ibiza, this popular dish can be served with vodka. Whether you don’t drink alcohol or want to reduce calories, you can always ditch the booze.
According to the experts at The Ibiza Catering
- Suggested Pairing: Serve Fresh and Light Red Tartare of Tuna with ciabatta bread (with or without olives).
- Wine Recommendation: Rias Biaxes Albarion Sin Palabras.
- Background Music: Here’s a link to music you can listen to while you cook or eat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0C80qHYabA.
Check out this flavorful, exotic recipe below.
- For the tartar
- 0.77 LB (350 Gram) fresh tuna (sushi quality)
- 0.22 LB (100 Gram) fresh watercress
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 beetroot (pre-cooked)
- 4 limes
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Native olive oil
- White wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- Chop two-thirds of the watercress and drop it into one medium size bowl and add the peel of two limes with a grater.
- Fillet the limes, cut it into small pieces and put it on the side
- Clean the radicchio, cut it in fine stripes and drop it in another medium size bowl.
- Fill this bowl with lukewarm water to avoid that the radicchio becomes brown and to take some of its bitterness.
- Cut the beetroot into medium size dices and mix it with one tablespoon of vinegar in a cup.
- Cut the same amount of watermelon like the beetroot without seeds and the tuna into equal size dices as the beetroot and drop into the bowl with the watercress and the grated lime peel
- (What to do with the rest of the watermelon... more on that later)
- Mix the tuna, the watercress, the grated lime peel, the beetroot and the watermelon and add 8 tablespoons of native olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Put it to the side.
- Drain the radicchio well, mix it with the rest of the watercress.
- Add two tablespoons of native olive oil, one tablespoon of the vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper and arrange it on four plates.
- Pile up the tuna tartar on the radicchio-watercress-mix.
- Lastly, drop the cut lime fillets on the tuna tartar.
- Cut the rest of the watermelon in rough cubes, blend it with chopped mint leaves and 3 fluid ounces of vodka and fill it into four glasses. Chill it for at least one hour.
- Serve this drink ice cold! Your guests will love it as an appetizer!