The holiday season is basically over, but one of the most highly-anticipated, festive events of the year is just around the corner: the Super Bowl.
Whether you’re a football fan or not, most of us look forward to all the fun and celebration that this great American tradition brings. Of course, a big part of that fun is the food.
Massive platters of chicken wings, sandwiches and dips may be delicious, but they’re usually loaded with unhealthy ingredients and, not to mention, tons of extra calories.
In fact, the average person eats 1,200 calories and 50 grams of fat during a Super Bowl party, according to Dr. Steve Feyrer-Melk, a health practitioner with over 20 years of experience and chief science officer of Nudge, a leading health app that collects and sorts data from the most popular health and fitness apps on the market.
To avoid diet sabotage and enjoy game time wholeheartedly, Dr. Feyrer-Melk has revealed six healthy Super Bowl tips, as well as tasty, nutritious dishes (veggies included) and recipes from Sidechef.com that the whole family will love.
Check out his six smart ways to have a healthier Super Bowl experience this year below.
- Have a healthy mid-morning snack like a greek yogurt, or cup of cottage cheese. Don’t “save up” your calories. You want to go to the party in a state of nutritional equilibrium, not a caloric deficit. Olga Klyuchtis’ healthy tropical smoothie is a great recipe that incorporates greek yogurt in a delicious way.
- Hit the veggie tray! Try baking Kale Chips for a fun and tasty twist on the traditional veggie platter.
- Avoid the chips and switch them for a yummy substitute like Oven Baked Carrots and Sweet Potato Fries.
- Avoid cheeses and sauce dips each tablespoon is most likely 50 or more calories of not-so-healthy-nacho cheese!
- Choose whole grain buns and limit the number. If you can go without, do it.
- Choose snacks higher in protein like chicken wings, shrimp and lean meat. Try Serena Wolf’s Summer Salad with Avocado and Grilled Shrimp or Olga Klyuchtis’ Easy Baked Chicken Wings for healthy and flavorsome alternatives.